Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Week 8/26: Ethics


What Is Ethics?

  • People learn ethics from everything they see, hear, and experience. Ethics is learned from the people and other stimuli you encounter every day. This includes family, teachers, friends, television, radio, and so on.
  • Unlike morality, ethics does not necessarily involve beliefs or an individual's feelings. Although the two words can be used interchangeably, morals are defined as more personally based principles whereas ethics refers to standards of right and wrong.
  • People who examine their own moral conduct to ensure that it meets ethical standards will, consequently, be more ethical than those who compromise their moral conduct.
  • I am often black and white in my beliefs. I believe there is right and there is wrong. There are not multiple codes of ethics, for it is not a varying set of standards.
  • Songwriting, my chosen area of study for my mentorship, requires a large consideration for copyright laws. You have to copyright your songs so a listener doesn't steal the credit for your great song. I am confident that fellow music enthusiasts will provide a lot of inspiration for my songwriting through their creative creations. However, if I infuse any of their original work into my music, whether on purpose or by accident, I would be stealing and stealing is unethical. I’ll be wary of the melodies and lyrics I use in my music.

No comments:

Post a Comment