Sunday, August 18, 2013

Week 8/12 Reflection on Podcast/"Getting to Know Your Mentor"

 Reflect on the podcast and the "Getting to Know Your Mentor" handout and write a blog entry detailing points that are important in both pieces of information.  Remember, when you write a blog, you have an audience.  Keep that in mind as you write.  Do not simply summarize, engage your reader with information you have just gathered!

     I believe a good impression is important because people form opinions about you as soon as they set eyes on you. Like the podcast said, a first impression is made within the first 10 seconds! The best way to ensure you make a good impression is smiling, eye contact, A FIRM HANDSHAKE, and a confident introduction (I came up with that one on my own). These things show maturity, professionalism, and confidence. I believe that if you show confidence in yourself, your mentor (and most anyone else) will develop confidence in you as well! Equally critical to make a good impression is what you wear...sad as it is, our society places high value on outer appearence. That being said, it is crucial that you dress professionally and appropriately. I think that means I can't wear jeans to meet my mentor. :(
     However, it is also important to dress appropriately everyday on the job! No miniskirts, revealing tops, flip flops...How you project yourself everyday at your mentorship site is equally as important as the first day. The podcast and "Getting to Know Your Mentor" document both highlight the importance of enthusiasm. Being enthusiastic and having a positive attitude EVERYDAY will show the people in your work environment that you have come with a purpose and aren't wasting anyones time. The podcast says to jot down names and information about people you meet soon after the introduction. I think that is a brilliant way to remember and learn names! You can start paying attention to these people and their habits so you can "attach" yourself to those who are are focused and hardworking. 
     Okay, now REWIND back to the first impression topic! I personally feel a little anxious before introductions so the "Getting to Know Your Mentor" document was very beneficial to me. I don't think I would have thought to question my mentor about themselves, but questions such as "how did you choose your career?" or "how did you get where you are?" or "what do you think is the most important factor in success?" are great questions. Also, it is important to inquire as to appropriate dress and schedule. (P.s. You should always arrive on time or a few minutes early). 
     Alternatively, you need to be prepared to ANSWER questions. Both sources of information highlight the importance of being especially positive and excited on the first meeting when speaking of goals, college plans, and senior year. "Getting to Know Your Mentor" includes a list of things your mentor will expect from you. A few I believe that should be paid extra attention are turning off your cellphone, coming prepared, being eager to listen (learn), and being honest. 
     These mentorships place us in the "real world." I know that I must be ready to meet the demands of my mentorship promptly, efficiently, and maturely to get the most from my experience and reflect my school well. 
     
     



No comments:

Post a Comment