Sunday, December 8, 2013

Week 12/2: Essential Question

How does nutrition contribute to one's overall health?


Why did you select this as your essential question?  
- I selected this question because nutrition and health are highly important and interest me. They are topics that I enjoy researching and relate to my mentorship at a physical therapy office. I know that nutrition can impact your functioning and recovery but I do not know exactly how. I'd like to learn how exactly required nutrients benefit and affect the body. As a diabetic, I have found nutrition and exercise to be the key to maintaining stable blood sugar levels. I am curious as to why exactly a diet of fresh vegetables and fruits, complex carbs, lean meats and nuts makes me feel better than a diet including added sugar, simple carbs, and processed snacks.

What excites you most about finding the answer to this essential question?  
- I consciously try to make healthy choices for my daily diet because I find that this makes me feel, function, and look better. I have recently chosen to remove meat from my diet and include foods like couscous, quinoa, vegetables, fruit, granola, yogurt, and nuts. I am interested in learning more in the area of nutrition so I can apply that knowledge to my life. I believe that knowledge is power. The more I can learn about healthy living, the healthier I can make my life. Additionally, I can influence and educate the lives of people around me.

Do you feel that this question accurately reflects a desire/need that you have to find out more about this topic?
- Yes, I do feel that this question accurately reflects a desire and true NEED that I have to find out more. Generally, Americans are unaware of how the foods they eat can affect their body. Ignorance leads to a decline in health as far as nutrition is concerned. Often times processed foods and foods that manufacturer's claim to be "healthy" make up the majority of the average person's diet. I believe that when people learn the importance of nutrition, they are more likely to lead a healthy lifestyle.  This question is important and relevant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment