Thursday, November 28, 2013

Week 11/19 Mentorship Reflection

Reflection On My Mentorship

Over the past month mentoring at Back In the Game Physical Therapy, I’ve grown a comfortable relationship with my mentor Brendon. He has helped me grow my confidence working with patients and expands my knowledge of the physical therapy field every opportunity he gets. On a typical day, I will help care for as many patients that come to Brendon for treatment. Examples of what the other physical therapy aides and myself are asked to do is explain exercises, give STIM and laser therapy, make hot/ice packs, and apply tape to backs, necks, shoulders, etc. Brendon will often tell me to try the exercises a patient is performing to gain a better idea of the muscles being strengthened and has used books and skeletal models to explain an injury. I have seen the positives and negatives to working as a physical therapist and am thoroughly enjoying my experience.

My marketing principles class was an elective that initially did not interest me, and I chose it solely to fill my one remaining class period in 11th grade. However, I have absorbed the lessons from that class possibly more than any other class I have taken. Physical therapy is very focused on building a relationship with your client and confidence, two things focused on in my marketing class. I greet patients with a smile, look them in the eye when they speak, and engage in light conversation. These things will keep patients happy and keep them returning to Brendon when they need therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment