Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Week 1/21: Semester Reflection

Describe the most memorable experience you have had this semester in regards to the Honors Mentorship Program?

My most memorable experiences (couldn't narrow it down to one!!)...

1) Anytime I learned something new! Brendon was always eager to teach not just interns, but the patients, too! He would often have me bring out different fragments of the skeleton models in the office so he could explain a particular stretch, movement, or injury. This helped give me a visual of my dad's limited movement from his shoulder surgery. 

2) Funny interactions with the patients! From working the same office hours every week, I   was able to grow relationships with the regular patients. One man (one of my faves) always showed me pictures on his phone of his daughters on their wedding day or some funny meme. He joked around with everyone and made my days brighter!



What was the biggest lesson learned during your first semester of your
mentorship experience?
My biggest lesson was about professionalism in general. I learned great people skills,
communication skills, business promotion, etc. I've definitely grown from my experience at
BIG Physical Therapy. I feel better prepared for "the real world"...or at least college! 
How will you use this experience in the future? How has this experience
changed your view of learning?
I'll certainly use this experience to help me decide my future career. To be honest, I'm not
sure if physical therapy is the route I would like to take. However, my mentorship has gotten
my gears turning and made me question what I would truly enjoy doing for a living.  
I've always believed that knowledge is power. This mentorship has shown me how
knowledge can increase your credibility, opportunities, and problem solving abilities.
How has it changed your view of the career area in which you are mentoring?
Physical Therapy is a lot less...physical...than I had anticipated. I thought there would be far
more sweating and activity involved like a gym atmosphere. Instead, I've found that there is 
a lot of laundry, paperwork, socialization, and stretching. I know that I would strive better
from a more active career.

No comments:

Post a Comment